Monday, August 13, 2012

Cheeseburger in Caseville

This past weekend my husband and I took a scenic drive to the thumb of Michigan, where every city is at least 20 miles from the next. We drove to Caseville in Huron County. Every year Caseville hosts a week long event called Cheeseburger in Caseville. The festival is a tribute to tropical paradise, cheeseburgers, and Jimmy Buffet with over 100,000 visitors during the 10 day long festival that takes place in August. Activities at the festival include sandcastle making contests, nightly concerts at the county park, beach volleyball, cheeseburger eating contests, Cheeseburger Walk/Run 5K and much, much more.


This year I decided to participate in the Cheeseburger 5K race. It was the first time that a race course has taken me through a scenic county park that borders Lake Huron and out on to the Caseville break wall. The wind was so strong on the break wall that I could hardly breath, but at the same time it was an awesome experience. I didn't run my fastest race, but it one of the more memorable, because of the scenic beauty that surrounded me as I ran.

One of the down sides to the Cheeseburger festival if you are trying to watch your waistline is all of the cheeseburgers. We ate cheeseburgers for lunch and dinner for three days! Restaurants around town compete each year for having the best cheeseburger. You can't eat a cheeseburger at the same establishment more than once, you need to try cheeseburgers at different restaurants and stands and decide for yourself who has the best cheeseburgers. We decided that the best cheeseburgers came from the places that had the best condiments. My favorite was the stand that had green olives on their condiment table....yum.

Last week I blogged about setting goals and my commitment to regular workouts and eating healthier. Well guess what? I'm human and I fell off the weight loss bandwagon for the weekend. Unfortunately, real life often intrudes into the best intentions. I could do one of two things at this point. I could use this past weekend as an excuse, and before you know it, one skipped workout turns into two, and three...and I decide that it just isn't worth it and give up. OR I can admit that there are going to be times and situations that prevent me from staying on the path that I have set for reaching my goals. This past weekend I ran into a rock in the road. I have to find my way around the rock and get back on the path to reaching my goal. It is so easy to abandon our goals. You decide, are you going to make excuses and abandon the path or work hard to find your way around the rocks in the road as you journey toward a healthier life style? I found my way around the rock, come join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment